Everyone has their own feelings and/or views about human nature. I'm no exception.
Now, because I believe I'm human, I should understand the meaning of our so-called nature, it's noggals not so easy. For one thing, how many of us understand the mindset and make-up of women? Hmph! Nice weapon they have to manipulate us at times... and yet we come back time and again. Must be love that drives this demon called human nature. The crazy thing is, is that women are drawn to the strength and masculinity of a man. Then comes the pooier and paint, the wonderful dinners, the fluttering of eyelashes, till she snares him. And then what does she do... spends the rest of her life trying to change him to her image. Now if he backchats her by asserting his "masculinity" he gets it in the neck one way or another. Crazy. I have a friend who I asked to go with me to Newlands to see WP beat the living hell out of the Cheeters. I had the best seats in the house, right on top, in a snazzy company box. And what answer do I get.. "Sorry Steve, I don't think my wife will allow me to go alone...." Sheez, talk about kak human nature.
Even our own species... take kamikaze pilots for example, why would they bother with helmets? One would swear because they didn't have Disprins at the time, a headache would be the worst of their worries after smashing their Zero's into the sides of battle Ships. Yep, people do crazy things. And when it gets questioned, we are told it's human nature.
Human nature can exist between the sexes, which is understandable. No-one has the sole rights to always be in the right... debatable but true.
I even find the mindset between different areas, as in land mass, of the good people living either this side or that side of the Boerewors curtain can be totally different. North and South. Iv been working these two areas long enough to know there IS a difference. Plus I've lived in both countries, with just the "curtain" separating us.
Take my work for instance (this is where I do some smousing, just because I can) I sell advertising space for my 2 Cape Town websites, northernonline.co.za and southernonline.co.za. 2 extra if you add in bedonline and wedonline.
Although I offer free listings of any business, I NEVER get taken up to list anybody in either my accommodation site, nor my wedding site for a freebie listing. It's just the way how human nature works.. we run businesses which has a high public awareness, therefore we cant be seen to be asking for a free listing.
Those businesses in the North... maybe one or two a month. But from the Southern Suburbs... sheez, at least every other day I get asked a few times from businesses. Mindset. Human nature? Its what I offer, so I don't quibble. I must admit I don't understand it, but there you are. The battle of the sexes and the battle of the North n South.
Another piece of so-called human nature I do not understand is this. In an obscure home, in some obscure suburb, is an obscure person with too much money burning holes in his pockets. Lets just say he builds swimming pools. That's his job. He needs the work. Fridge broken, kids need shoes, wife needs new outfit. Whatever the reason, he feels its now time to advertise. He has heard somewhere that if you dance in the dark, you know what you are doing, but no-one else does. This is sound advice, so he calls up the local newspaper, and the You magazine, and spends R2700 for a banner advert of 4cm x 22cm in both publications, and he sits back and waits for the calls to start. Now remember, I can give him the same banner, plus 100 words editorial for R295 once off to list for a full year. My readership is about 1800 a week, the magazine and newspaper, many many more thousands. So based on this vast difference in readership, he says no, to me, and rubs his hands in glee, thinking how nice his missus is going to be to him when he buys her a new wardrobe
Now, firstly, your average buyer of newspapers and magazines does NOT buy it to look at your advert. He buys the Cape Times to read what kak Malema has gotten into, and the magazine, to read about the skinder stories of Joorst, broken underwear and all.
But, taking this average reader, who may actually be thinking of looking for a pool guy, would go to the normal cafe or bubbie shop out there and collect a free copy of House n Home. Even to open my community portal websites, and find about 70 pool guys, some with banners including direct links to websites and emails, plus the editorial. Come on...Not buy a R20 magazine in the hopes of finding someone he MAY be needing.
But, while he is engrossed in the readings of the antics our well respected and polished politicians are getting up to, and IF his eye strays to the corner of page 8, and IF this advert is eye catching, he may actually give it a call.
But the hassle is the guy who is very happy with his pool, has no need for any pool guy, wouldn't even spare it a glance.
But then again, this reader could be an optimistic sort of a bloke. Picture the scene, his eye catches the advert, sits up straight, reaches for a pen and paper. Because, in the future, he may buy his dream home, which may have a pool, and which may need some repairs, and what do you know, right there in the same magazine as Joorst's onderbroek is the man for the job. Our pool guy.
So, the point is, if you need something advertised, find the right media, at a cost that's fair based on the return costs. That's another thing about human nature. Case of bigger must be best. (This only works with the size rock you place on your lady's finger)
The best may be right under his nose. My Mom always said that if the socks I swore was not there, and they actually were, that if it was a snake, it would of pikked me. Right there under my nose.
Like the saying, which I love, you cant see the woods because of the trees. But I digress...
Will get back to this post shortly
No comments:
Post a Comment